Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A NEW YEAR, A NEW DRESS


Clothing items from Topshop and Jewellery from Stella and Bow.

This morning I received a text message from one of my best friends. It basically said “Have you written a what to wear post for NYE yet? You should!” And there in my bed, I thought about it. I thought, “What would one wear for New Years Eve?” Would it be a dress? A top and skirt? Even jeans perhaps? More I thought about it though, more I was depressed about my own NYE plans. I’m doing nothing tonight (my brother is off to China tomorrow morning so it looks like a chilled celebration at home) and I’ve concluded that my plans will insist of baking sticky date pudding for dessert, perhaps downloading Beyoncé’s new album and having a dance party for one. So in reality, I am probably going to be wearing my PJ’s till the clock strikes midnight while viewing the fireworks from my bedroom window. I bet though, I am not the only one celebrating New Year’s alone. I know for a fact that at least two of my friends have no big celebrations either and one of my co-workers is babysitting for the night. That probably means a lot of us home-loners will be wearing onsies to enter the New Year with ease and comfort. If you’re feeling disheveled, then all I can say is - it’s not a fashion crime! If you were to weigh your options, I think PJs and onsies would outnumber short skirts and “killing your feet” in stiletto heels any day!

But back to the question for those still wanting style advice: “What would one wear for New Years Eve?” Well, it depends on your plans really. If you’re keen on getting a midnight smooch of a kiss, then the little black dress can do you know wrong. Pair it with black heels, some gold bling and you will look classy as ever. And hot as hell to the boy you’re trying to impress. If you’re doing something casual like a house party with friends, the top and skirt combination is easy and you most likely already have these items in your wardrobe (so its money saving too - woo!) I would go for a nice blouse and a pretty (sparkly )skirt to give your outfit some glamour. Some nice booties and simple accessories will add the extra classy touches. If you are a pants lady, there is nothing wrong with a pair of jeans. Simply swap the skirt for a comfy bottom half and you still have a lady-like outfit going on. Or if you’re going to be at home with the family, wear leggings and a T-shirt. This is ultimately money saving (thank me later) and well, its not like anyone cares on what you wear at home.

My point is, wear what you feel comfortable in. Not just for New Years Eve but also for every day, every occasion and every minute you spend your life in. This is your resolution homework for 2014. Think about it. The Devil Wears Prada quotes (fashion): “…what they did, what they created was greater than art because you live your life in it.” In my perspective, dressing up is fun yet you shouldn’t have to impress anyone else in your outfit choices. Whatever you wear, you should feel like yourself. You should feel good, happy and positive in it. Whenever you find a dress, skirt or top in your wardrobe, you should stimulate photographic memories of that occasion and you can say “that was a good night” or “that was the best date ever!” The New Year will bring you new dresses but more importantly new wonderful memories that you associated that particular item with. So summing up, wear whatever you want to wear tonight. That might be the most bland style advice I have ever given but whether it is a dress, jeans or PJs, you of all people have to feel good in it. I won’t judge.

PS. Except if you wear shorts to a wedding like I encountered the other night, then my fashion police alter ego might just come out and I will fine you with a ticket.

PSS. Here is a mood board to fill you with really last minute inspiration if you’re still stuck on what to wear.  

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment